Sunday, February 17, 2013

Q & A with Walti Huber - "I'm 17"

Walti Huber is a Swiss musician now living in Germany, a folk singer-songwriter known for his original style, combining psychedelic and authentic interpretations to modern classics. 

As one reviewer of his last album [under the name of Jetsam] stated:
One can mentally get caught up in the labyrinthine structure (of his performance) that a German with an Irish accent singing English songs who also writes about French impressions...however, one will listen and find technically correct, honest and beautiful music. 



Walti was kind enough to answer a couple of questions for Audio Rumble about his cover of Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers, "I'm 17."

DJ Caterina: Hello Walti! I am an admirer of your cover song version of Tommy Conwell's "I'm 17." Why did you want to perform the song? What made you interested in the song?

Walti Huber: That's a good question. We have had the song in our program now for about 10 years -- a local record seller recommended Tommy Conwell's Guitar Trouble CD.

My wife and one of my daughters (she was then 12 years old) sing with me in the band JETSAM, so I thought it would be a good idea to wait until Céline was 17 and then she could sing the song. 

In the meantime, Céline is now 22, still sings with us, but has her own career. [Watch Céline Huber – Wings of Love].

As for "I'm 17," I am still performing this great song, being 61 now.

I like the song mainly for its wit and the feeling it gives to me reminding me of those rebellion years – and sometimes I still feel a bit like that after all these years. Also it's great fun to watch people smile about this old guy, who sings this 'angry' song with a big twinkle in his eyes. 

Musically it is a perfect piece, straight on, simple and resolved - is this the right word? - with a good timing and despite the words, very optimistic. 

Last, but not least, I'm a great fan of Bruce Hornsby, who played on the track as a studio musician. The only thing I never understood is that "I'm 17" never had a big airplay in Germany/Switzerland – so it´s JETSAM's turn to be the distributor around here.

No comments: