Monday, April 29, 2024

I'm Seventeen, Gun Van Sant and Cinematography

DJ Caterina (steps up to the microphone):  The “I’m 17” music video is a 1990 mini-film whose importance grows even more with 34 years hindsight: director Gus Van Sant’s release of “My Own Private Idaho,” the death of River Phoenix, the rise of Keanu Reeves into movie superstardom, and Oregon representation in movies. In this 189-page dissertation, I will show how Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers changed the landscape of youth culture…” 

Clerk: *interrupts* EXCUSE ME, MA'AM, THIS IS A GUITAR CENTER. 

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

In the fall of 1991, Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers made a music video with director Gus Van Zant in Portland, Oregon, for the song, "I'm Seventeen," from the Guitar Trouble record. Gus Van Zant directed “My Own Private Idaho” in Portland the year before starring River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves. Images ➡ Cinematography (3) from “My Own Private Idaho; screenshots (2) from TCYR’s “I’m 17.”







No comments: