Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Blue Comet Bar and Grill Closing in March


The Blue Comet Bar and Grill in Glenside, PA, has announced that it is closing its doors on March 21, 2021. The venue has been operated under the same ownership since 1995. According to a 2015 article in the Chestnut Hill Local, the bar was named for a passenger train operated along the Central Railroad of New Jersey from 1929 to 1941.

From the early 2000's until around 2010, Tommy Conwell played solo on Saturday nights at The Blue Comet.  

Read an article below courtesy of Marc from Kennett Square's former Tommy Conwell tribute website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Jazz Session at the Blue Comet
- by Marc from Kennett Square

“Who is this guy, he sucks! I’ve been away for three years in Arizona and this CRAP is what I come back to?” My wife and I speculate that the agitated man must be an ex-convict. Rather than explaining that Tommy Conwell, who is on stage performing at The Blue Comet, is a local Philly rock legend, I say, “You know, it’s not easy playing old Frank Sinatra lounge tunes from sheet music on an acoustic guitar.” 

 

The Blue Comet is a neighborhood institution with the décor of a vintage roadhouse blues bar. The pictures on the wall cry out that Brian Setzer, rockabilly, tattoos, rolled up jeans, and the 1950’s are not retro but eternally cool. 

There were no shrieks from young girls and no Guild guitar. Rather, Tommy Conwell, delivered a blizzard of jazz standards and acoustical lounge music to local drinkers.

Tommy sat on a stool and sang a dozen of songs such as “That’s Life” and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”. One song he introduced by saying, “This song is from 1972 and it is my all-time favorite. I was in fifth grade and all I was thinking about was making out with a girl named Miss Whatever.” I must admit that I was quite bored until Tommy was joined on stage by a jazz saxophonist, Kip Morris, and a singer from the audience, named Laura. The impromptu jam session made my night! 

Smoking a pipe--Hello, this is not England!--and talking excitedly about Latin Swing Music at The Five Spot, jazz tenor saxophonist Kip Morris tells me his schedule for the night. “I intend to hustle by three clubs tonight and see if I can sit in with a band. I just like to play! This gig at the Blue Comet was very impromptu.” 

I asked him if he knew the guy named Tommy that he jammed with tonight. “No, I have never heard of him nor was I invited. He was keen enough to invite me to play. I could tell he understood how to improvise like us jazz guys.” 

What I saw tonight was unspectacular, but the real life of regular musicians……...two jazz guys out to make a buck and play their music.

Tommy’s Acoustic Lounge Act The Blue Comet
Saturday Nights 6PM-10PM sharp
Tips are appreciated!
Not here to sell Little Kings or Young Rumblers records
Come back on Sunday if you want rockabilly
Just earning a buck like all of you working-class stiffs

No comments: