Sunday, August 4, 2013

Following the 'Rumble'


Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the release of Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers' Rumble. [July 8 - August 8] 

Dave Maybaum and Tommy Conwell - the 80's!

TCYR fan Dave Maybaum from Philadelaphia recalls his memories of the release of Rumble:

"The first time I ever saw Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers was at Drexel University in Philadelphia. My buddy went to Drexel and told me that I had to check this band out! They were only a 3-piece band at the time and when I heard them I was BLOWN away! 

To me, I thought Tommy was like a cross between Stevie Ray Vaughn and George Thorogood. I started seeing the band every chance I got. 

Of course, I was still a fan when the Young Rumblers became a 5-piece band and released “Walkin’ On the Water.” I heard they would be the opening act for David Bowie and Squeeze at Veterans Stadium in 1987 – and there was no way I was going to miss this show! The band was phenomenal and Tommy was, of course, fantastic as usual! 

While watching Squeeze play the next set, I saw Tommy walking around! I called him over and introduced him to my girlfriend, who would later become my wife. She put her hand on her heart and she told him that he was amazing! She was star struck! By this time I must have seen him 20 to 25 times. 

On the day that Rumble was released, I bought it as soon as my favorite record store opened. Then I drove to my girlfriend's house in New Jersey so we could listen to it together. We cranked it up and started dancing to "Workout" – one of my favorite tracks. 

Loved seeing the Young Rumblers on the American Music Awards, being introduced by Rod Stewart and playing guitar in the audience aisle…as LL COOL J was cheering him on! 

Tommy eventually disappeared from my musical landscape, but then he turned up in one of my favorite bands of all-time, Buzz Zeemer – but that's another story for another day! Thanks for allowing me to share my memories of Tommy Conwell. I miss those days. They were a blast!"

No comments: