Sunday, July 21, 2013

Marcy Rauer Wagman Looks Back at 'Rumble'

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the release of Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers' Rumble. [July 9 - August 9]


Tommy Conwell and Marcy Rauer Wagman, 1986.

     Entertainment attorney, songwriter, recording artist and Philly music legend Marcy Rauer Wagman and Tommy Conwell co-wrote many of the most beloved  Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers tunes together, including "Gonna Breakdown," and "Rock With You." Their most successful collaboration was with  "I'm Not Your Man," the first single released on "Rumble." It went on to become a No. 1 hit on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks, the first week of October 1988.
     Rauer Wagman graciously shares with Audio Rumble her memories of writing songs with Tommy Conwell and her thoughts on the 25th anniversary of "Rumble." 

On co-writing "I’m Not your Man"
    Writing “I’m Not Your Man” was so amazing…. I remember Steve Mountain called me and said that he needed me to get together with Tommy and write a hit single for their first independent album, Walkin' on the Water.
The riff that Tommy brought originally was really slow and I thought, "OK, that’s great, but let’s work on that some more." Also I told him that the last part of the song you should perform kind of quiet, maybe almost whispering because you are telling this girl in a serious way, "Hey. Really. I'm not your man!”

     I remember our favorite thing to eat during a lot of the writing sessions was cherry red twizzlers. In fact, I think I got him hooked on them…

On her reaction to the heavy rotation of "I'm Not Your Man" on radio and MTV
     It was great. I was really happy for Tommy. He’s an incredibly talented artist. I personally felt that having that kind of hit just validates you as a songwriter. Tommy is still one of the most talented people that I’ve ever met in my life -- and I have met a lot of people in this industry. He is one of those artists who could play a venue like the Spectrum and he made it so intimate - he played it like you were at a cabaret. I've written with so many different people over the years and Tommy remains in the top three, if not the number one favorite person that I have written with.

On her thoughts about Tommy Conwell as an artist
     He was fearless as far as his art is concerned. From the swagger onstage to the way he belted his tunes; it was all genuine. It was honest. And as a musician, composer and songwriter myself, he just made my job easier.
     When I think about "Rumble" celebrating it's 25th anniversary, I just feel really great for being a part of what Tommy accomplished and, as an artist myself, working with someone like him. 

[You can read more about Marcy Rauer Wagman's famed and storied career in music courtesy of Philadelphia City Paper's feature article, "Off the Charts."]

No comments: